Re: Engine Swap ... penny for your thoughts

To: bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Engine Swap ... penny for your thoughts
From: "Phil Martin" <pmartin_vacation@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 13:50:45 +0000
Another option to consider here is the "B" series of Mopar engines, which
includes the 383 and 400.  With a stroker crank and flat-top pistons, you
can build a pretty mean machine starting out with a 400.  In the late 80's,
I used to hear about 444 motors which were a 400 block and pistons coupled
with a 440 crank and some appropriate set of rods.  The B-engines have a
slightly smaller block than the "RB" series of engines, but they share many
elements like heads, valvetrain (except shorter pushrods due to the lower
deck height), and that bulletproof Y-block design.

I don't think that the size difference is a whole lot (deck height on the
B-blocks is maybe 0.25" shorter than the RB-blocks - I can't remember for
sure), but it does save some weight, and if a 440 just barely fits then a
400 might give some critical room to maneuver.

Hope this helps,
--
Phil Martin
"How does it feel to want?"