Re: Dash & Console Lights

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Dash & Console Lights
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 17:11:12 -0400
>My dash & console decided one night, not to light-up when I had the
>headlights on.
>
>I changed the fuse & opened up the center console to see if any wires got
>pinched but all is well.
>
>Anyone else have this problem and how did you fix it?

I just checked my wiring diags.  Power to the dash lights comes from the
Tail light fuse to the headlight switch on a Brown/white strip wire.
This hot wire is connected to the parking lights when the headlight switch
is in the parking or headlight position.  It also goes to the dash lights
via the variable resistor on the front of the light switch.  You could have
a bad connection at the wiper end of the variable resistor, the wiper
may not be making connection with the wire on the variable resistor, there
could be a bad connection where the resistor connects to the switch and
wire going to the dimable dash light (insturment lights).  This wire
connects to the dash lights via a Gray wire on the 6 pin connector.

Do any of the lights in the verticle cluster (door adjar, oil, hi beam, brake,
belt, defog) come on?

If you have power at the 6 pin connector, the chances are you have a bad
or missing ground.  The ground for the inst. lights is in the eng bay.
There is an eyelet that comes from the fire wall penatration connector and
is attached to the Driver side Front fender well.  This should be the
ground.  You could have a bad ground connection at this connector, or a
broken wire.

David also says:

>I discovered yet another problem today: Defrost isn't working either. Dash
>indicator doesn't light-up as it should. Any ideas?

The defroster light should work with out the defroster actually working.
Do you have power to the switch?

Guess what?  The defroster light gets its ground from the same place that
the rest of the lights that aren't working do.  But it gets its power from
a different connector.  So it sure sounds like you have a bad ground.