Re: AOD conversion: Jim & Ginny

To: alphachi@writeme.com, Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: AOD conversion: Jim & Ginny
From: "Phil Martin" <pmartin_vacation@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 20:19:41 GMT
>From: "alphachi" <alphachi@writeme.com>
>
>just over the top.  It appears the motor must be pulled to do this,
>right? My concern is also the shifter and bezel.  how do these match
>up with the AOD and do you know of any alternatives?

They should be exactly the same, since this was one of the design goals of
the AOD.  The shifter only has 3 positions: 1, 2-3, and 4.  The main
drawback of the AOD tranny is that you end up with no control over the 2-3
or 3-2 shifts.  Most of the time, this doesn't matter at all, because you'll
just have it in Drive.  But since you mention your fondness for your current
shift kit, I thought you might like to know this.

There is a company that makes a valve body that shifts the pattern to 1, 2,
3-4.  This gives you more control over the critical 2-3 shift, but you've
gotta be pretty careful when dropping out of Drive, since you might drop 2
gears instead of just 1.  The company that does this is called "Len-tech" or
"Lenn-tec" or "Len-tek", and the owner (Len something) is regarded as one of
the foremost experts in the AOD field.