Re: AOD conversion:

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: AOD conversion:
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 12:55:32 -0500
At 11:25 AM 11/10/00 -0500, alphachi wrote:
>    What companies?   I'm trying to get this thing set up with as few
>surprises and mods as possible.  I'd rather keep the FMX, since mine has a
>very good shift kit, but the cruising  speed cacophony and gas guzzling is
>just over the top.  It appears the motor must be pulled to do this, right?
>My concern is also the shifter and bezel.

Stephan,

   You should NOT have to pull the motor.  Since the AOD bolts right up
to the 351.  In fact, I believe you can use your original drive shaft.

The shifter and bezel can still be used.  You may have to make a new
connecting rod to connect the shift lever to the xmission, but even the
orig. one should work.

Having been following this thread, on your rear end, you need to check
the output coupling from the rear end.  The 9" I have also came from
a Versille.  However it has a flat flange that requires a flat flange on
the back of the drive shaft.  The AMC rear end uses a "Y" yoke - where
the U joint sits in 2 cups on the output yoke and is held in by 2 U bolts.
If you have the flat flange, you will have to:
1. change that flange to the yoke type, or
2. change the drive shaft so that it has a flat flange on the end.