Re: alternator problems....part 2

To: WUZNTME2@aol.com
Subject: Re: alternator problems....part 2
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 21:28:07 -0400
At 06:23 PM 5/30/00 EDT, Michael, VIN #2525 wrote:

>i hooked up the alternator ( thanks for all the help guys ) now its not
>working..... to be on the safe side i took it to get tested ( just to make
>sure ) and it worked fine. I reinstalled it, made sure it was hooked up
>correctly and still nothing... any ideas as to what the problem may be? the
>alternator is brand new ( dont have the old one to compare it to ) and the
>new one does not produce any power....

Michael,

  It could be a number of things.  However, if you're willing to take a
inexpensive shot gun approach, I suggest swapping out your voltage
regulator.
I think I paid about about $10 for it.  If that doesn't fix the problem,
then I'm afraid you're in for a time consuming take of ringing out each
wire to the alternator.

One quite check before the shotgun attempt.  Find the ground lug on the
alternator and using a multimeter set to the lowest resistance scale, read
the resistance to ground.  It should be 0 volts.  However, on my friends
74, we somehow, didn't hook up his ground to the alt. and it wouldn't put
out either.

Let us know what you find out.