Re: alternator problems....part 2

To: <WUZNTME2@aol.com>, "Bricklist" <Bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: alternator problems....part 2
From: "Jeff Wood" <Cybertec@TheGrid.Net>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 16:52:38 -0700
try jumping the field to power at the regulator and see of the engine idle
lowers. If so, this would indicate that the alternator is working, and
generating power.  You could have a voltmeter accross the battery to show
that the volts increase, as there is a remote chance that the alt. does all
it's supposed to, and the power it generates goes noplace.

If this makes power, you probably have a bad regulator.

NOTE: do not have your lights on during this operation.  I had mine on once,
and the surge killed my lights.  You may even, to be safe, jumper the field
to power, then start the car, checking the voltage at the battery, then shut
it down, remove the jumper, and check it again at the battery with the car
running.

This all assumes that the wiring is all correct.  Another thing you could
do, unless you want to stay original, is to replace the alternator with a
later-model Delco, or something with an integrated regulator.  usually only
requires 2 wires to connect, 1 to battery, one from switched power.

Good Luck

Jeff