Re: Help with Wiring Diagrams

To: "Olenick, Jamison" <Olenick@ssims.nci.nih.gov>
Subject: Re: Help with Wiring Diagrams
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 18:16:19 -0400
At 03:42 PM 5/9/00 -0400, Olenick, Jamison wrote:
>John,
>   I was doing some circuit checking (as a result of a problem) and I think
>that one of your diagrams is incorrect (very minor though).
>   I think that in c-main-2 on P11 that the top wire (#1) that says that it
>is Purple is actually pink and the bottom wire (#3) that says that it is
>pink is actually purple.

Jamie,

  You are correct.  The diag. c-main-2 on P11 the Pink and Purple wires are
reversed in on the connector.  The Pink is on the same row of the connector
as the brown wire.

>   Problem....
>   I had been having trouble getting the signal from the ignition switch to
>the solenoid.  I traced and traced and traced with no luck.  I began having
>this trouble after the installation of the manual trans to replace the 727.
>I am getting the signal from the purple wires coming out of the ignition
>switch but not at the solenoid.  I was having tons of trouble tracing the
>path (because I did not want to remove all of the wire looms and electrical
>tape).

I just got the eng. bay and main interior harness in my car and am starting
to hook things up.  So I took a multimeter and just rang out the wires again.
They are like it shows on s-pwr-dist-1.gif "Power Distribution (1)".

The purple wire comes from the ign. switch into the main harness to the
bulkhead connector at the firewall.  It goes through the firewall on pin
BZ (this I didn't revalidate) to the connector E1 pin 4 on drawing
c-eng-bay.gif.  Then down to the neutral park safety switch, and back to
pin 2 of E1 then over to the starter solenoid via the large loom that crosses
the firewall behind the eng. in the eng. bay.  NOTE:  The wire changes color
at this connector from Pur to Red.   I did confirm this with an ohm reading.
However, I couldn't go end to end (from ign. sw. to the starter solenoid as
my shift linkage is NOT connected, and the N/P sw. hasn't been aligned so it
will read open as the switch doesn't know the car is in Park.)

WARNING    WARNING    WARNING    WARNING    WARNING

DO THE FOLLOWING AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!!!

I suggest that you disconnect the hi tension lead from the coil to the
dist. cap. before continuing!

If you are having problems, you can disconnect the connector E4, the small
4 pin connector near the windshield wiper motor, and jumper pins 2 & 4 on
connector E4 with a paper clip.  Now when you try to start the car, the
starter and eng. should crank, regardless of the N/P safety sw. as you have
just bypassed it!

I hope this helps.