Re: horn relay

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: horn relay
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 21:20:54 -0400
Thanks to all the answered my question about the horn relay.

It turns out that my fears of finding one  were unfounded and I should
have done some checking before asking the list.

As Todd Rapp put it "I replaced my relay about 5 months ago. I don't have
the part # but  I remeber it was from an AMC GREMLIN".  I walked into my local
AutoZone and asked for one for a 75 AMC Hornet, and they handed me one for
$5!

Greg Monfort replied:

It's a Borg Warner R240 per Duane West's compilation
decades ago. Since I can't find it under the hood, I
assume it's under the dash, which I currently can't
easily access.

Regardless, B-W is now part of the Echlin group, and
the replacement is Echlin HR138. The AMC replacement
listings also list KEM HR34 or Standard HR152, so you
have at least three to choose from. My NAPA buddy
confirmed they interchange, and normally only carries
them in their warehouse system (at least locally), so
you may have to order it.

GM

and Dave Farbacher replied:

Just 5 minutes before reading this I took apart my horn relay.  I don't have
any P/N's but the pinout is as follows.

Looking at the bottom of the relay, the pins are arranged as follows.

2         1
     3

1 - One side of relay contact.
2 - One side of coil
3 - Common for both contact and coil.

If I get a P/N, I'll let ya know.

So I've got some updating to do to the parts xref list.

BTW, for those of you that have printed out my Parts Xref, the ign. module
for the 75 is WRONG.  It is NOT a Wells F100 it is an F102.  Found that out
when I went to plug the harness into the F100 and it didn't fit.  Took the
F100 back and the gave me the correct one.

For those that haven't seen or checked it out reciently, check out the
parts xref list on BI's web page under the Technical Section.  Lots of
good info there.  Most of it was compiled by me during the 5 yr and counting
restoration of 887.  Have had some input from many others also.  So anytime
you go to the local auto parts store and get a part, check to see if it is
listed in the xref.  If not, please, please email me the info. and I'll add
it to the list.  You should check it every couple of months as it DOES get
updated.