Re: INTERIOR PROBLEMS - ENGINE HOPPING

To: "Bob Miller" <bricklinbob@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: INTERIOR PROBLEMS - ENGINE HOPPING
From: "alfaki" <alfaki@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 04:11:37 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob Miller" <bricklinbob@hotmail.com>
To: <Bricklin@autox.team.net>
Sent: Saturday, March 18, 2000 9:24 PM
Subject: INTERIOR PROBLEMS - ENGINE HOPPING

> Hey folks-
> I'm able to post now .. here comes a number of questions
>
> I just got my Heat Shield roll from JC Whitney...I Need to re-carpet and I
> read a while back that their was an article about it in Brickline...anyone
> got that they can e-mail?
> I'm a perpetual clutz and spill a gallon of coffee a month in my cars...I
> was thinking of covering the interior Floors in black rubber over the heat
> shield stuff...too weird? any ideas?

Well, between the water problem and coffee, the idea is probably not a new
one, but yhe smell of rubber would be overwhelming.  You can get fabric
waterproofing spray in the can made by 3m and use it, or you can get marine
canvas waterproofing  in bottle form and work that into the carpet.  Don't
go crazy with it and you'll maintain the orginal feel.
What ever heat shielding you get, make you it is water proof otherwise any
dampness will seriously compromise the insualting properties.  Thermo-Tec
has sealed very thin pads in different sizes used for track cars.

> I'm planning on having a local Mustang restorer/rodder put in '69-70 high>
compression heads w/big valves, and Edelbrock 4bbl, intake manifold, cam,>
and 5.0 headers...any advice I could pass along to help reduce the labor >
costs...yeah, yeah I know I'm not doing myself...god gives us all talents>
and wrench turning ain't mine...wish it was though he estimates $1500- 1800
> for the job in which he's gonna pull the engine and re-gasket the whole>
thing and clean off the smog stuff...Bought my Brick in LA and am now in>
Arkansas where they don't give a shit about that...(no smog tests yet..hell

You can look back on the post I submitted  on all the details including all
the p/n's of an ongoing mod with lots of Edelbrock  as the one I'm
performing is very similar.  Be careful about the bigger valves (2.02) as
you may need to notch the pistons for clearance.  If you want good
driveablity, stay with a dual plane intake, want good lo end torque and
idle? stay with the milder Edel cam, especially with an a/t.  This car is
very heavy.  The original compression is fairly low, so you have some room
before you get into trouble.  But with higher compression and hp, you get
more heat so make sure you plan the cooling system well.  As for 5.0
headers, I hear some shorties will fit, but I prefer the mustang tri-ys from
Harris.  As for the smog, I agree, but I suggest you keep the PCV system for
smoother, safer, and less stink.    Ah, as for the Edel carb, there are
mixed feelings, especially for off idle response.  I used a lot of Edel, but
finally decided on Holley for the carb., especially after talking with TT.
If you have any other questions about the mod in progress, just ask away.
The parts ran upwards of 3k from the cheapest mailorder suppliers, and the
labor about 1.5k.  But labor is less where you are [and probably better].
I'm sure you'll recieve lot's of good and different opinions.  Good luck!
stephan #2821