Re: Starter cable

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Starter cable
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 18:18:07 -0500
At 02:55 PM 3/7/00 -0700, Larry wrote:

>I just used a battery cable that was the right length and had the right ends.
>It is no big mystery.  Electricity works the same way  no matter what the
>car.  As long as the gauge of the wire is large enough to handle the current
>and the cable is no so long that there is a voltage drop,  any cable will do
>to carry electricity.

Larry,

  True.  However, I've been having several problems find one:

1. When I show the parts store the original cable, they just laugh at it's
   size.  They don't have anything near the dia.

2. No one had a cable with the 90deg. connector on it.

3. No one has a cable with any sort of heat shield on it.

Now, I have to wonder:

a. is this cable I'm assuming is the starter cable, really from my Brick. or
   from something else?

b. is the 90deg. really needed?  I realize that I could probably bend a flat
   connector to the 90deg.  However, most of the ones I've seen are pretty
   cheap tin for the newer lower current high speed starters.  Also I don't
   know why with all the fender well that is available, why any idot would
   put the starter solenoid sooooo close to the chassis.  My only guess is
   that the cable was a production part at some point in time, and that is
   where it stopped.  I don't like the solenoid being that close to the
   chassis.  Don't try to jump the car there!!!

c. Why does it look like there is a heat shield on the cable I have?  (Again
   assuming that I have the right cable.)  The cable has to go very close to
   to the exhaust pipes to get to the starter.  So I (again) assume that a
   normal unheat protected cable would melt in short order.

Maybe I should get confermation that the cable I have is indeed from the
Brick.  Again, the cable is at least 1/2" in dia, with a 90 deg. connector
at one end (I assume that attaches to the solenoid) and normal flat connector
at the other end.  The cable is about 12" to 18" long (I haven't bother to
take ANY measurements), and appears to have a heat shield on it.