RE: Door braces

To: Dave Walker <dave.walker@rpt.net>, Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Door braces
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 1999 14:42:33 -0400
At 08:38 AM 10/6/99 -0400, Dave Walker wrote:
>John,
>       I was wondering if I decided to remove the door skin what the
>easiest way to remove the glue? Also what glue do I use to put the skin back
>on?
>Also, I have cracks in the skin, is there any special care in removing
>without any more damage?

Dave,

   The way to get the skins off is to take a heat gun (do NOT us a propaine
tourch) and heat the metal on the door edge from the back side of the door.
This is supposed to help break the bond of the glue.  Then I use a putty
knife, find some place where the glue has let go, and get the putty knife
between the door frame and the skin.  Then using a hammer, tap on the putty
knife and work it around the door and move the heat gun with you.  If you
don't have a place where the glue has let go, then you'll have to drive the
knife through the glue.  You might break the skin in doing so, so be careful.

If the skin get broken, it's up to you what you want to do about it.  You
can replace the entire skin, or patch the broken spots.  Are you going for
a driver or a show car?

There are a lot of glues being used.  I'm trying some stuff that George
Malaska has used called: Sikaflex-221 all purpose sealant.  It's a
polyurethane material.  The stuff I have is black.  I'd suggest trying a
large hardware chain for it, or possibly a automotive paint store.  If all
else fails the co.'s address is:

Sika Corporation
22211 Telegraph Rd.
Southfield, Mi.  48034

It comes in calk tubes and is applied with a calk gun.  I don't know what
it costs.

              48 TR1800    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V (B1109)
71 Saab Sonett III (71500840)    75 Bricklin SV1 (0887)    77 Spitfire

Morgan: www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin: www.bricklin.org