compressors and other things

To: bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: compressors and other things
From: "Alan Coleman" <colemaal@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 15:26:55 PST
Other things:   John Blair- I have reinstalled my sending unit in my
tank, however it's not on the car. I went out to the garage with my
Ohmmeter and checked it out . Tank right side up 76.5 ohms. upside down
13.6 ohms.

Wind noise and leaks- I have recently pulled my fenders off and boy was
I shocked by what I could see then. The door seals don't come anywhere
close to meeting the frame along the line of the fenders. there is a gap
of .5 to .75 of an inch. Due to the angle, this gap was not at all
visible until the fenders were off. (and John you were right about
shearing bolts off- even after a liquid wrench soaking).

Compressors-- Twenty years ago when my hadley vacuum pump went up, I
called them for a rebuild kit. They told me about an electric compressor
they made for air horns on trucks. Its a belt driven affair with a guage
and a pressure shut off switch that cuts it off at 125psi. I mounted it
on the back side of my right front fender well and wired it so that it
has power when the ignition is on. Other than needing to spray wd-40 in
the intake side once in a while to lubricate it, it has required no
maintenance for 20 years. I don't know if they still sell it, but if
they do, I would recommend it.

At the same time, I replaced all of my air lines with some I bought from
a dealer for the lubricators. Again, this line has worked for 20 years
with no problems and just slid over the barbed fittings (no clamps
required). the outside of the line is marked  "PAR FLEX   N    1/4 O.D.
x .035 WALL    W.P. 250 PSI". I don't know if this stuff is still
available nor do I remember what it costs, (I know that's an issue for
some of you) but even if it's $5.00 a foot, as well as it has worked it
is worth it!!

Hope this helps.

Alan #246