Some comments...

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Some comments...
From: tbenvie@bu.edu (Thomas M. Benvie)
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 08:53:40 -0500
First, a note on some meets.  Once again this year, the AMC CLUB OF NEW
ENGLAND is sponsoring the 25th AMC Show at the Commercial Club, Rte 18,
East Bridgewater, Ma.  As I am the sole person who finances and produces
this show every year, I get to make the classes.  I invited all Bricklin
owners last year, but alas, none came.  I used to bring my Bricklins and
people enjoyed them.  There is also a vendors area which usually has some
decent stuff, some which interchanges with the Brick.

I also know the guy who is producing the All-AMC Day at Cecil County
dragstrip.  He sent me the following:

If you
could, we would really appreciate it if you could help spread the word up in
your neck of the woods about our 8th annual Cecil County meet coming up on
Memorial Day weekend, May 29th.  This Internet thing has really helped
generate interest and we look forward to this year's event being our best yet.
Thank you in advance for your efforts!  Don Bangs -Mid-Atlantic Classic AMX
Club   E-Mail-A1901982@aol.com

Don is a great guy with unbelievable AMC racing experience.  He'd love to
see Bricklins there.

And in St Louis this year there is the National American Motors Owners
Assoc. Meet.  I know I've seen Bricklins there before, and there are a lot
of non AMC powered AMCs there, so all year Bricks are probably invited.  It
is the week of July 21st I think.

There is also a Show in Denver Colo sponsored by the Classic AMC Club
International.

A member of the AMC list posts a national show registry for AMC.  I'll post
the next one when he sends it too me.  You'll find the AMC crowd is very
open minded about the cars at their show.  A Chevy engine in a AMX may not
be everyones favorite, but it is not condemned, either.

I saw a banner for sale on EBAY from a local New England Chapter of a
Bricklin Club.  Is there two clubs?  Is one out of New York?>  I always see
ads from John Delorenzo and his Bricklin club.  Could someone enlighten me?

I just bought a book titled "Bricklin" by H A Fredericks and Allan
Chambers.  137 pages, it is all about the car and production problems.
Some great pictures as well.  Anyone know about it?

Re: Engine Cradle-I actually needed one of these for my 74.  The actual
crossmember is an AMC piece, but the engine mount brackets have been
changed completely as the engine sits farther back on the Bricklin (which
is why it has a different oil filter setup-it would hit the crossmember on
a stock AMC part).  The worst part of replacing it was the fact it was
welded into the frame (at least on #323), not bolted in like AMCs.

I recently bought two totalled Linclon Mark 8s-one vandalized, the other
went over something and danaged the undercarriage.  I made one out of two,
as I needed the glass, body panels and whole interior to fix the vandalized
one.  But I have the whole driveline left, and was thinking about putting
it in a Bricklin.  Now I know everything about AMCs, and taught auto shop
for years, so I know I can do it without a problem, but does anyone know if
the basic block will bolt up to the 75 crossmember, or has some changes
been made that would require modification?  If it bolts right up, I guess
I'd be looking for a rough 75, but if it needs to be modified, I guess it
wouldn't matter which year Bricklin I used.  Anyone know where any
inexpensive project cars are?  I do mechanics, Body and Paint, so it
doesn't matter too much the shape-mainly want a fairly complete one, but
others will do.

When I had my Bricklins there was a guy in Maine who made a lot of repro
stuff for them.  I think his name was Tim Begley, and i think he passed
away fairly young-late 20s?  He made a notchback hatch assy, and was doing
a different nose.  He also had fiberglass door panels.  Did he indeed pass
away, and if so, anyone know what happened to his molds/materials?  Anyone
see the notchback rear hatch?

Thomas M. Benvie
5 Sachem Rock Ave.
East Bridgewater, MA 02333