Re: Rear end question

To: jblair@exis.net, bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rear end question
From: Parkman Kenneth <Kenneth.Parkman@pwc.ca>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 09:53:05 -0500
> There are apparently 2 different pieces for the Fords.  The other is
the same "Y" type yoke that is on the AMC.  I've been told that all
Ford 9" rear end have the same # of splines.

There is one style of race gear which uses a larger pinion spline, but
that's race only stuff.

> I also got the impression that there is only one "Y" yoke for the 9"
rears.  Apparently there are come "standards" when it comes to the U
joints.

Yes, there are numerous different yoke sizes and styles. A common set
of styles are the Spicer series (1310, 1330, 1350 and others). AMC and
Ford both used these in various applications, although not the bigger
ones like the 1350 (this one is used in the axle half-shafts of a
Corvette). As the 9" Ford has been around forever there are all kinds
of different yokes available, even some of different lengths (the
distance from the yoke mounting surface to the U joint centerline). In
addition yokes are available in the aftermarket (expensive) for larger
(1350 series) U joints.

> So I think that the yoke for the Ford will hold the U joints of the
Bricklins drive shaft.

Yes, there is a common one of the right length and U joint series to
fit the AMC without any changes to the drive shaft. When I put the
original 9" in my Hornet I found a yoke in our shop that was a perfect
bolt in. The only problem is I don't know what vehicle it came from. I
think a Ford 1/2 ton but I'm not sure. As a point of interest I then
destroyed the 9", turning it into metal crumbs worse then I ever broke
an AMC. I now use all the aftermarket parts, including a 1350 series
yoke and custom driveshaft. I have some books home to help decipher U
joints, so as long as I remember I'll check for you tonight. If you
don't hear from me tomorrow remind me.

Ken