Re: Doors.

To: bricklin@autox.team.net, GaryDZ@ellijay.com
Subject: Re: Doors.
From: "K M" <symbiotic@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 1998 22:18:41 PST
I would suggest a slightly different approach from John.  First, you
know that the external or the internal switch is working if the latch
solenoid is firing.  I would think that the odds of an airline kink are
small indeed.  I would have someone operate the switch while I fooled
around with the up solenoids.  On mine, they are the ones on top.  But
they are certainly the ones that are after the air pressure regulator.
Look and see if there are two wires going to the suspect solenoid.  On
mine, although it hasn't happened yet, those wire connections are
fragile.  This is the likely problem but if there is an okay connection,
check for voltage with the switch tripped (probably 12v). If not, there
should be and you have to find the broken wire.  If you have the right
voltage, feel that solenoid and trip the switch -- you should feel the
plunger plunge.  If not, pop that coil off and put a small screwdriver
in the coil hole.  Trip the switch and the magnetic field should grab
that driver.  If not, the coil is bad.  If yes, then it is the solenoid
itself.  Those devices are really easy to "fix".  First, there are
rebuild kits, but they are likely not worn out.  The issue probably is
crud.  Make sure that you let all the air out of the reserve and take
the top of the solenoid off.  Inside will be a metal plunger, a little
rubber seat, and a spring to make it default to the right position.
Clean that stuff up with a rag, check out the little orifice for crud,
lubricate the plunder and seat with ATF or power steering fluid, test it
by putting it back in the coil and firing it, and if it works, put it
back together.  You will see that there is a bit of an indentation where
the seat seals, but that should be fine.  I don't have an oiler or water
remover on mine, so ever once in a while I shoot about .5 cc of fluid
before the regulator to lube and "clean" it, the solenoids and the
cylinders.
By the way, I am hoping to drive this 618 beast down to LA around Jan
10, 1998 (I am thinking of having Stan do my doors and maybe some stuff
behind the dash -- I could do it myself, but heck, the west coast needs
to support our only service person.  Plus, he is kind of an oddball like
me so it will be an experience).  I believe that I can finally do a trip
of 400 miles without taking a bunch of tools (although I don't really
want to put that many miles on the beast).  Kim