Re: Bricklin in the movies ...

To: "Michael V. Mitchell" <MichaelM@bcgsys.com>
Subject: Re: Bricklin in the movies ...
From: Roger <BearChaser@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 1997 20:50:35 -0400

Michael V. Mitchell wrote:

> I'd like to get a list of movies that the Bricklin was featured or had a
> cameo in. If you know of any, I would appreciate if you would pass that
> information on.
>
> Also, I just happened to catch the end of the move "Cannonball Run II",
> and, just after the finish line banner, could have sworn I saw an orange
> Bricklin with the door up in the finish line parking lot. Can anyone verify
> this for me?? Anyone have this movie?
>
> Thanks!

Mr. Mitchell;

Regarding your question about the Bricklin SV-1 appearing in any movies, I know
of only one.  The name of the motion picture was, "Demon Seed", a picture which
came out in the late 1970's or early 80's.  I watched it on HBO years ago.  The
car used was a White Bricklin SV-1, and I have often wondered as to the
whereabouts of that car today.  I am also curious as to if the movie mentioned
still exists, or is available for rental.  I have not seen it in any of the
video store's around Roanoke, Va. where I live.

"Demon Seed" is a picture, in my opinion, much like 2001 and 2010.  Similar
plot, different setting.  The Bricklin SV-1's role in the picture was that of
basic transportation for the doctor who invented the A.I. Super computer the
motion picture was about.  A computer similar in function to that of  the
H.A.L. 9000 in 2001.  H.A.L. ran a spacecraft, the system in "Demon Seed"
solved complex problems here on earth.  Both systems used A.I. (artificial
intelligence), and were required to strictly adhere to the three basic laws of
A.I./Robotics, which can create complex contradiction for a computer.  H.A.L.
went mad, the computer in "Demon Seed" got board and started a project on his
own, involving the wife of his creator, (the Doctor who drove the White
Bricklin SV-1).  You will have to see the movie to find out, as Paul Harvey
says, "The rest of the story."

As for the "Cannonball Run II", I will have to check that out, but I think you
are correct.  Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Roger Dubose
VERY SADLY not a Bricklin SV-1 owner yet, but very attached to the dream.  God
bless all of you for keeping this marque alive.  In my personal opinion, a
vehicle concept ageless in design, and still today, decades ahead of current
offerings.