RE: Jiffy Lube and drain bolts

To: "Matt Drance" <mattydrance@yahoo.com>, <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Jiffy Lube and drain bolts
From: "Thana, Peter" <peter.thana@roche.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 16:39:09 -0700
Matt,

The tranny drain bolt on the civic is one of those square head deals
where a 3/8" ratchet without socket fits into it, right?

Sometimes they can be very stubborn if overtightened but the key is to
get a good "snap" on it.  Try hitting a ratchet you don't care about
with a hammer to break it loose.  With any drain plug, the torque spec
is low because you want to just crush the crush washer, but not too
much.  Typically a Jiffy Lube place won't care, so I'd expect them to
overtighten it.  However I'm not sure that if you torqued it with
30lb-ft you could break it with 30lb-ft of slow pressure, because the
crush washer deforms when you torque it.  Best bet is to whack it with
something or try even more force via extensions etc.

If they really overtightened it to the point of stripping the threads,
you might also see the crush washer look kinda mangled.  Does it look
normal?

Peter