Jiffy Lube and drain bolts

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Jiffy Lube and drain bolts
From: Matt Drance <mattydrance@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 14:12:35 -0700 (PDT)
Hi,

Some of you may recall the stripped oil pan in my wife's Civic that I posted
about a month or so ago.  Well it's time for her ATF to be changed, and I
cannot break the drain bolt loose.  According to my torque wrench there is more
than 80lb/ft of torque on it. The service manual says 30 lb/ft.  I'm assuming
the highschoolers at Jiffy Lube used an impact wrench to put it back on when
she had them change the ATF 30k miles ago.  Now I'm paranoid that when I
finally get the bolt loose, it will carry nice metal shavings on the way out.
I'm wondering how to proceed and if there's any way I can pin this on them if
they in fact have stripped the transmission's drain plug threads.  Options:

1) Go to Jiffy Lube and ask them to change the ATF, ask to see the drain bolt,
since they have a record of doing it at 30K miles.
2) Go to a dealer and have them do the service, inspect the transmission, get
them to document the overtorquing of the bolt.
3) There's no way I can prove they're at fault, just do it myself and pray.

If anyone has dealt with this sort of thing before I'd appreciate any input.
The oil pan I was able to live with as its easy to replace; this is something
else entirely.