RE: Skid Plate Fabrication

To: "james creasy" <james@thevenom.net>,
Subject: RE: Skid Plate Fabrication
From: "Rick Brown" <rbrown7@covad.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 00:16:06 -0800
Steel has a higher modulus than aluminum so for a sheet section aluminimum
must be 3 times thicker to achieve the same bending strength than steel.
Unless you're going for bling the weight savings achieved with aluminum is
minimal for equivalent component strength.

Actually, a real racer would make it out of magnesium or titanium.... now
we're talkin'!!

I've also looked at using depleted uranium instead of lead for ballast but
it makes the seat too hot. Plenty bright without headlights, though.

-- Rick "Bling Bling" Brown