sweeper vs blower...

To: "John J. Stimson-III" <john@harlie.idsfa.net>,
Subject: sweeper vs blower...
From: Joseph Weinstein <joe@bea.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 10:02:54 -0700
At 09:36 AM 8/24/2005, John J. Stimson-III wrote:
>As I understood it, we stopped hiring the sweeper after we purchased
>the super-blower.  Didn't we buy the super-blower so that we could
>clean the lot ourselves?
>
>The blower gets the course just as clean prior to the first run group
>as the sweeper does.  The surface was great in run group 2 at Round
>13.  The course gets just as dirty over the course of the day with
>either method of cleaning.  One advantage of having the blower that I
>don't think we've exploited so far, is the ability to do a mid-day
>"touch up" during the break.  Perhaps we should try that, since I
>think it would be more effective than any amount of extra sweeping in
>the morning.
>--

Hi John. I don't believe that blowing the gravel (mostly) off the
line (*somebody's idea of the line*) is anywhere as good as a
sweeper that removes gravel completely from the site. Gravel doesn't
appear from nowhere, and the amount that is created by tire friction
pulling stones out of the asphalt can't generate the huge drifts we
have, except over perhaps a long period, else we would be digging
sweeping ditches deep into the asphalt over the course of a day. I
still believe that if we paid for a real sweeper to really remove
all the loose stuff, then GGF would be much nicer for several events
at least. The blower is a nice bandaid but if it just blows the junk
10' over to where we might want to run next event (or where I want
to take a wide line for the current event ;) ), it's not that big a
help.
   I vote for trying the full-sweep at least once, with an eye toward
collecting opinions on how well it makes a difference, and how long
the difference lasts. I would consider scheduling the sweep for
as soon before a GGF event as possible, and hopefully with some other
GGF events to follow relatively soon after so we can see how long it
helps.

Joe
996 ASP (Always Sweeping Pebbles)
        (inspired by James Creasy, One *Special* Person)