Re: Street Tire Classes and ESP class question about EVO 8

To: Stacey <svwilbur@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Street Tire Classes and ESP class question about EVO 8
From: "John J. Stimson-III" <john@harlie.idsfa.net>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 11:11:22 -0700
On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 10:07:50AM -0700, Stacey wrote:
> Since there is no chance of being competitive with a 1994 300zx naturally
> aspirated or a almost stock 1997 Z28 Camaro in ESP class when using street
> tires is there a street tire class that would be more appropriate for us?

The Camaro is legal to run in STU with up to 275-width tires.

If the 300ZX is stock, you could run in FS-ST, but if it's set up for
ESP, then there's unfortunately noplace for it to play on street
tires.  Last year with the combined Street Tire class you could have
run there, but this year Street Tire is limited to the stock classes.

> Also I have noticed that the EVO 8's in the ESP class are dominating every
> event for the last 2 years.  There was only 3 events of the last 21 events
> that a EVO 8 did not place first.  It is not always the same EVO 8 either.

The SCCA classifies cars to be competetive at the National events.
Local events, even ours, tend to have tighter courses and have
pavement with less traction in comparison.  That gives more advantage
to smaller cars and cars with AWD.

There is some discussion on the National level that the Evo 8 should
be moved out of ESP (thanks mainly to Navid, who is obviously just a
hack driver in a ringer car!).  If you want to contribute to that
discussion, look at the National Tour events for your data and send
your polite, well-reasoned argument to seb@scca.org.

--

john@idsfa.net                                              John Stimson
http://www.idsfa.net/~john/                              HMC Physics '94