Re: Street Tire Classes and ESP class question about EVO 8

To: "Stacey" <svwilbur@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Street Tire Classes and ESP class question about EVO 8
From: Kevin Stevens <autox@pursued-with.net>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 19:26:42 -0700
On May 24, 2005, at 10:07, Stacey wrote:

> I was just curious....
>
> Since there is no chance of being competitive with a 1994 300zx
> naturally aspirated or a almost stock 1997 Z28 Camaro in ESP class
> when using street tires is there a street tire class that would be
> more appropriate for us?

STU, as mentioned.  Of course, the Evo's may kick your butt there,
too.  ;)  IMHO they have a stronger advantage on street rubber than
race rubber.  Or, isn't the Street Tire class still active?  I recall
having some good battles there in my Camaro vs a NA 300ZX...

> Also I have noticed that the EVO 8's in the ESP class are
> dominating every event for the last 2 years.  There was only 3
> events of the last 21 events that a EVO 8 did not place first.  It
> is not always the same EVO 8 either.
>
> Some specs:
> 2005 EVO 8   276 HP / 286 Torque   69.7 inch wide X 178.5 inch
> long, 103.3 inch wb,  All wheel drive
> 2003 Camaro  320 HP / 345 Torque  74.1 inch wide X 193.5 inch
> long,  101.1inch wb,  rear wheel drive
> 1997 Camaro  285 HP / 325 Torque  74.1 inch wide X 193.5 inch
> long,  101.1inch wb,  rear wheel drive
> 1994 300zx     222 HP / 198 Torque  70.5 inch wide X 169.5 inch
> long,    96.5inch wb,  rear wheel drive
>

> The EVO 8 has about same horse power as the older Camaro's at 276
> but are a couple hundred pounds lighter and have "All wheel drive"
> to help pull the narrow and short car through the corners much
> easier than our big Camaros.   A 300zx should have the cornering
> advantage but its lack of torque keep it from being a contender in
> ESP.  It just can not get up to speed fast.

...and turbo lag, and front drive understeer, and overheating front
tires, and no low-end torque, and a shorter second gear, and a
narrower track, and a longer wheelbase, and a tissue-paper clutch...
Hmm, seems like you can make that argument from any side, eh?

Since you aren't serious about competing in ESP anyway, what's the
difference if you're driving an underprepared 300ZX or an
underprepared Camaro (or an underprepared Evo)?

> Exactly how are EVO 8s considered as being appropriate for the ESP
> class?
> I know they are listed as valid for the class in the class
> listings.  I was just wondering why that is the case?

Because that's where the SEB felt they best fit in the classing
structure.

> The EVO 8s seem to "out class" anything in ESP.

If so, they'll be moved.

KeS