Wheel bearing on the fritz???

To: ba-autox@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Wheel bearing on the fritz???
From: Joe Ciarcia <veloimpreza@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 12:12:32 -0800 (PST)
I think my right front wheel bearing has begun its
march towards being an ex-wheel bearing. I get a
creaking... metal fatigue the Titantic is sinking kind
of sound at slow speeds and a grinding sound at higher
speeds. Braking has no effect on the sound. My
questions for everyone here is...

Could this be anything else (brakes... I don't think
so as braking has no influence on the sound)?

On a PITA scale of 1 to 10, 1 being an oil change and
10 being "just pay someone" how difficult is it to
replace a wheel bearing (for someone who's never done
it before)? Hopefully it's nowhere near as annoying
servicing a sealed bicycle hub where all the bearings
are loose and if you sneeze you get ball bearings
everywhere (I'm assuming that cars use cartridge style
bearings).

What kind of special tools would I need and what do
they generally cost (if the tools cost more than
paying someone to do it I'll just pay someone to do it
but... saving... not spending money is very high on my
list of priorities these days)?

Does anyone have the service manual for the '02 WRX?
If you could let me know what part numbers I need to
order it would be greatly appreciated and finally...

If anyone has the phone number for Gino's shop or
Tito's shop handy please fire it my way.

Oh... hello everyone!

Cheers, Joe

=====

http://my.yahoo.com