Re: Wheel bearing on the fritz???

To: Joe Ciarcia <veloimpreza@yahoo.com>, ba-autox@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Wheel bearing on the fritz???
From: Charlie Davis <gt40d@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 20:48:43 -0800 (PST)
--- Joe Ciarcia <veloimpreza@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I think my right front wheel bearing has begun its
> march towards being an ex-wheel bearing. I get a
> creaking... metal fatigue the Titantic is sinking
> kind
> of sound at slow speeds and a grinding sound at
> higher
> speeds. Braking has no effect on the sound. My
> questions for everyone here is...
>
> Could this be anything else (brakes... I don't think
> so as braking has no influence on the sound)?

Try this.  Do a slow, safe weave.  If it is worse when
you are turning left (right side loaded) and lessens
when turning right, wheel bearing is a good bet.

> On a PITA scale of 1 to 10, 1 being an oil change
> and
> 10 being "just pay someone" how difficult is it to
> replace a wheel bearing (for someone who's never
> done
> it before)? Hopefully it's nowhere near as annoying
> servicing a sealed bicycle hub where all the
> bearings
> are loose and if you sneeze you get ball bearings
> everywhere (I'm assuming that cars use cartridge
> style
> bearings).

On the FWD cars I'm familiar with (Honda), it's
probably a 10.  You take off the knuckle (splitting
ball joints, removing axle from hub) and then take the
hub to your press, complete with the the right
adapters and press the hub out of the center of the
bearing, remove a circlip, then press the bearing out
of the knuckle.  Then reverse the procedure...  Major
PITA...

Charlie