re: web and schedules

To: "autox" <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: re: web and schedules
From: "PAUL TIBBALS" <pault151@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 23:39:37 -0800
Eric replied to an unfortunate ticket buyer without refund:
  .....All the SFR officials who volunteer their time so generously in order
for the
  rest of us to be able to 'play' deserves all the courtesy and thanks we can
  give them.
  In this case, it's still too early to expect the webmaster to have the
  schedule listed already. :>)

  Eric
Having maintained some other websites, I _totally_ respect the time and effort
that goes into SFR's excellent website.  The Big But is, that having set a
precedent for generally good and timely information, the keepers can't avoid
the regrettable mishmosh that occurs seemingly every year.  It's when there's
an overlap between the December and January That Were (totally irrelevant now
and for some time) and the coming months that one would expect to find.  It's
all too easy to be confused and to make bad plans, and I've been similarly
victimized by assuming that the site schedule was correct.  I was able to
change those plans, fortunately, when the true schedule came out.  Buying a
trans-Pacific ticket without confirming with someone, perhaps that's naive.
But I encourage the keepers to make things obvious (NOW there's a notice on
the Solo2 front page that says "Come back for the 2004 Championship schedule",
though that doesn't address the banquet) and to please just remove the
fershluggin' months that have already occurred, from Series that are already
past tense, in the Schedule mechanism.

No, I'm not capable of writing the script that will give you the correct
results and will leave out the wrong months.  But I know enough to yank out
info that can't do anybody any good, so that it can't confuse them now.  Bad
information is worse than none.  So it's not too early to expect the Webmaster
to take out the OLD schedule, which was my point.
            PaulT