Re: MAZDASPEED MX-5 Miata

To: 76067.1750@compuserve.com
Subject: Re: MAZDASPEED MX-5 Miata
From: Smokerbros@aol.com
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 20:03:31 -0500
John Kelly wrote:

> > Did you ask Tom Kubo for his opinion?
>
> > Start with him first. I have no idea as to whether or not a turbo is a plus
> > for autocrossing. It seems to have worked on the circa
> '93 RX7. But all
> > other independent efforts have been abandoned.

In defense of John, he IS on to something...  Turbos work on B/P and E/Mod cars
pretty well, and the 3rd Gen RX-7 had a lot of success in Stock and SP, but
even that car isn't without some nasty tendencies when the sequential turbos do
their thing...

I rode with David Gould in his turbo Miata, and the Turbo kicked in at just the
wrong time, like just about perfect to make you miss your braking point and
apex.  Superchargers make more sense to me...  Or just big ol' Murrican engines!

Charlie