RE: Possible new SFR Regional class

To: Smokerbros@aol.com, ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Possible new SFR Regional class
From: "Thana, Peter {HTS~Palo Alto}" <PETER.THANA@ROCHE.COM>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 12:15:07 -0700
Charlie,

I think it is an interesting idea.  I think it would draw good
participation in our region at least.  I think it would allow some
people with cars that might not necessarily be "the" car for the class
in stock to feel a bit more competitive.  I think with the majority of
our sites on asphalt and a new generation of excellent grip/$ street
tires, a lot of people are interested in going that route, especially on
2 seat cars that cannot even carry their own race tires.

It should give a little new life to a couple cars that have some flaws
in stock trim.  Along those lines I think it would be a good idea to go
the STX way and allow LSDs, because that would make a lot of cars that
are crippled by their absence more fun and more competitive.  Plus, if
you don't allow aftermarket LSDs, then you'd probably have to go the STS
way and exclude all cars with a factory Torsen, which wipes out a
significant population of Miatae.

As for which cars to include and exclude, it is my opinion that this
class will work best if you basically restrict it to cars in CS and
below.  In other words no SS, AS, or BS cars including the S2k.  There
will always be a car or two that shows strength in a class and gets
other people whining, but keeping it to CS and below might spread out
the load a bit.

I think that's basically what you were hinting at with your list anyway.
That would mean no S2k, no 6 cylinder Z3s, no 16v 944s (924S and 8v 944s
would still be in, as would 914s), but yes on the CRX, Miatas and n/a
MR2s of all sorts.  These are still pretty popular cars when you think
about it.

And Sean, I think Charlie meant only the n/a RX7s, not the 3rd gen TTs:)
Having a Spyder for a class like this I wouldn't be too worried, in fact
from my experience with these cars it is those who don't have a Spyder
who should be the most concerned!:)

Peter

Disclaimer:  I do own a car that would be eligible for this class, which
would make me biased.  But even though I am considering the purchase of
an S2000, I still think it would not make sense to include BS cars in
ST2, as everything else would basically become obsolete.