Need help with 99 Dakota Check Engine light

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Need help with 99 Dakota Check Engine light
From: "Darren Madams" <darren@madams.com>
Date: 29 Mar 2003 22:51:44 -0000
My Check Engine light came on today.  Dealer service is closed today, no Pep
Boys nearby, local mechanic wants $90 just to read the code.

I tried to convince it to give up the codes using the "hold down the trip
counter button while turning to Run" trick, but it just says CHEC then goes
through all the guage tests.  It never gives any error codes.  I also tried the
OFF-RUN three times trick but that does nothing (I figure that's only for the
older cars).

A) Is there something special about the 99 Dakota that it won't give up it's
error codes?
A.5) Or does the lack of codes just mean that the fault has gone away but the
light just needs to be reset?  (And can I just disconnect the battery or
something to reset it?)
B) Does anyone have a portable scan tool that I could borrow at the Mazda event
tomorrow???  Or what's the cheapest scanner I could buy to do it myself?

Thanks,
       --Darren