Re: Stock Shock Chalk Talk

To: <Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net>
Subject: Re: Stock Shock Chalk Talk
From: "Anthony Tabacco" <atabacco@california.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 13:30:54 -0700
I always felt that the second set of rims, not the rims themselves, was the
make or break for a newbie. Its symbolic. Once you need the R Compounds your
general level of "event hassle" goes up by several degrees, whether by
needing a trailer, jack, drive alone, etc., plus your hobby budget to keep
fresh tires gets added in. I know there are those driving to and from on R's
(I did for a while until I realized a heat cycle is a heat cycle) with
gravel stuck on them so that they look like those chocolate sprinkle donuts.
I think we may be fairy unique in offering a first year Novice Class on
120's or above, and I remember teetering on the brink at the end of my
Novice season. Lots of nice people including at least two guys named Kevin
decided it for me.

Yes, my basic intent is to grow the sport, and I would propose we take as
egalitarian approach as is practical without spoiling the fun for the
established participant. I think that can best be accomplished by lowering
both the perceived and actual levels of expenditure in primarily stock
class. I don't care what effect it has on Nationals, but naive and trusting
fellow that I am would like to believe there shouldn't be much difference in
car preparation no matter what level. Only driver preparation. To take a
more broad view, as several have pointed out, There is nowhere to go after
stock because SP has outgrown emissions laws and become a trailer class, and
that is in fact a problem.

The bottom line is a majority really agree with this but get drowned out. We
can agree on one thing though: This is way too much autox content.
Tony