Oakland Round 4 (was novice comment)

To: <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Oakland Round 4 (was novice comment)
From: "Anthony Tabacco" <atabacco@california.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 11:27:42 -0800
Since by the time of the morning drivers meeting it was clear that the event
was going to be run in fairly extreme conditions, basically standing and
sheeting water over all the course (and course lines that washed away
immediately), the need and procedures for extra caution in both driving and
working were covered in detail at the meeting. We were all very happy with
the overall performance of everyone. We did learn after the fact of one
oversight that needs to be looked at although fortunately no harm came of
it. For those of you who were not there, the event was run in sometimes
ankle deep water, even through the reg. table; No course lines or cone boxes
survived, and routine tasks like tech and posting fell victim to pens that
would not work in the wet. It was terrific!

Dennis, Natalie and I talked about it and have decided that we would extend
our gratitude to all of the people who pitched in, and not single out
individuals because we though we might inadvertently omit out some one, and
we absolutely did not want that to happen. Under a constant downpour from
setup until the end of group four, people just pitched in to make it a
success. If we weren't all so cold, it would have been genuinely funny, but
people worked multiple groups, did three jobs, whatever was required to make
it happen. We sent the first car to the line at 8:55, did morning fun runs
(and by the way we couldn't believe any sane person would want to do that in
those conditions but they did), had time to rechalk the cones, sent the
afternoon groups out at 1:00 sharp and did an hour of very well attended
funs before pickup. Special thanks to the new comers in their discharge of
work assignments, particularly  where one group had almost no experienced
help either on course or in the trailer. We don't know the count for
attendance yet (or the amount of rainfall) but both were more than we
expected. What a group!

Thanks to all