Re: Hills, the power above, and autocross

To: kkelly@spss.com, ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Hills, the power above, and autocross
From: TummyRub@aol.com
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 11:17:55 EST
Katie,
    From the 1% for whom your posts are intended, I guess, I can relate to
your POPD method. My wife during one of the chapters of her live was a
teaching tennis pro. Mostly teaching D and C beginner and intermediate
players. One of her hardest tasks was motivating players to rush the net as
part of playing the aggressive tennis game. For beginners this is akin to 40
yard wind sprints in football. Her students were usually out of shape for
this type of play and many didn't "believe" that playing the net was worth
it.     Then she discovered the POPD. She would have each player yell out "I
LOVE TO VOLLEY!" as they rushed the net. Like you say, the lie turned into a
half truth and then into a burning desire to get to the net before the other
player(s) a smash the friggin' ball down their opponents throats!
    POPD works on the track too. I use it on a turn I don't like ..er...
don't do very well. By yelling encouragement to myself (I'm hard of hearing)
before the turn each lap, something like "LET'S NAIL IT!, I can persuade
myself to look forward to the turn. Because of this extra attention given the
turn, I improve at a faster rate.
.....Gary Porter