RE: Going Downhill

To: "Kelly, Katie" <kkelly@spss.com>, <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Going Downhill
From: "Michael R. Clements" <mrclem@telocity.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 15:06:00 -0800
1. On the downhills: swallow your fear and lean the bike. On clean dry
smooth pavement a road bike can lean over further than you think. That
doesn't mean "no fear" it just means that you should know the cornering
limits are higher than it seems. Just keep it smooth and gradually gain lean
angle comfort. If you can, take a ride with an experienced rider on the back
of a tandem (or a motorcycle, if you dare!). It will reset your intuition
about cornering limits.

2. In a pack, keep your front wheel behind his rear wheel -- no overlap --
so if he swerves from side to side he can't hit your front wheel and take
you down. Also keep your hands ready to use the brakes. To some extent, you
have to trust the person you're drafting. If you don't trust him or you
don't feel comfortable, either don't draft or get behind a steady rider you
trust.

Personally, I can't stand riding in large groups. I put more miles on my
bicycles than I do on my car and still I hate riding in packs, especially
with strangers, and even more especially with club rides. Too crowded!
There's nothing wrong with riding solo or in small groups of people you
trust. This lets you build up your skills in a comfortable way. And you get
to enjoy the peace and solitude.