Re: inelegible novice

To: "Giles Douglas" <giles@vy.com>,
Subject: Re: inelegible novice
From: "Jerry Mouton" <jerry@moutons.org>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 15:00:38 -0800
Consider "competed in more than 33% of any prior year's events",
the wording on the web page.

If I didn't compete last year, but I did compete in 33% of the
events in 1989, is that wording true or false?  It's clearly true.

Actually, if for any prior year (to this year) there exists a year
in which I competed in 33% of that year's events, then the phrase
is true.  If the prase is true, "you are not eligible for Novice class"

It is crystal clear, there is no other valid interpretation that I can see.

OTOH, If I competed in 25% of the events for the last 12 years,
I can still run Novice.  But everyone would know I am a weasel.

This would still not work for me because of "been judged
ineligible by the Novice Class Administrator or Solo2 Program
Chair "  Either of these folks can boot you out at any time, and
they have, too.  If you have run a little for 4 years and are still
coming in sixth, nobody is going to worry.  If you start running
as fast as the top of your open class, you are movin' up.

Those who are found to be ineligible this week will
immediately be moved by me into open class for the whole year,
unceremoniously.  I have been authorized by the Chief to do so.
No need for anybody to protest.

Come on, guys, there's no honor in cheating for a Novice
trophy.  It's easy for everyone to figure it out.  You look like a
weasel!  Let real Novices have a go.  None of these trophies will
get you a cup of coffee or entry into heaven.  Get real!  If you have
any doubt about your eligibility, get out of Novice and be a Mensch.

Jerry

Jerry Mouton        mailto:jerry@moutons.org    Laissez les bons temps rouler!