Re: Advice from a Boondoggle Survivor

To: "Kelly, Katie" <kkelly@spss.com>
Subject: Re: Advice from a Boondoggle Survivor
From: Kevin Stevens <Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 12:03:08 -0800 (PST)
On Mon, 4 Mar 2002, Kelly, Katie wrote:

> 1. Card pick-up and sorting. Do this about the time the current group starts
> their third runs. How do you do this? I don't know. Either do it yourself, or
> better yet, get someone else to do it. It's always better to get other people
> to do stuff, so you can be available to make decisions. That is YOUR JOB. All
> you do is make decisions. So, make the decision to get the cards collected and
> sorted early. You will soon see why this is so crucial.

This should be done by the card sorter for the upcoming run group.  That
person has no mission in life UNTIL the cards are picked up and sorted,
and they are the ones with a vested interest in having the cards sorted
correctly.

> Research has shown that the survival of a species is dependent upon that
> species' ability to adapt to CHANGE. Intelligence plays an insignificant part.

Actually, research shows that species go extinct at fairly regular
intervals no matter what.  And unfortunately, the exceptions seem to be
dead-simple designs like sharks or CP cars.  But I digress.

> We need to accept that there although we divide up everyone into run groups,
> there is no real division between the end of one and the beginning of another.
> It requires flexability and a willingness to "think outside of the box" (I've
> always wanted to say that). It means that you might have some straggling cars
> from one group and then the beginning of the next group all lined up at the
> start. Some people find this shocking, against the status quo, and terrible,
> BUT again, this is why it is SO important to have the cards picked up and
> sorted EARLY, and the card sorter needs to be aware of this.
>
> Obviously, you don't want to send cars out if the motorhome isn't prepared for
> it. That could create a DISASTER (which happened at a Boondoggle, hence its
> name). On the other hand, I found, when we did things early and slowly, that
> we ran into very little lag time. People are more than willing to do the job.
> All you have to do is ask.

Very good points!

KeS