Re: pointless auto topic #38: short vs swoopy line

To: Lolita and Mike <lomike@earthlink.net>,
Subject: Re: pointless auto topic #38: short vs swoopy line
From: James Creasy <black94pgt@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2001 23:10:39 -0800
when making changes to your car or driving a different car, you need to
deliberately toe the line of control. to do this constructively you need to
be confident of your ability to correct for the small discretions you make
while experimenting.

while teaching beginning drivers, i notice that they aware they have lost
control of the car MUCH later than i notice.  i remember this myself when
driving around sear's point a few years back, and my instructor suddenly
saying "We're going off!".  i was still happily looking for my apex.

there is a range of possibilities that you can try and recover the car from.
this may not be the fastest way to drive, but you are learning a lot more.
however, a beginner might exceed the limit by, say 25% and has no skills to
recover the car, while the more experienced driver will step over the line
by only 5% and will start correcting immediately.  this allows them to
experiment during the runs without complete loss of control.

blaa blaa blaa, it all really boils down to 'seat time' and a few 'ah ha'
moments sprinkled in.

-james "intermediate level autocrosser" creasy