Re: pointless auto topic #38: short vs swoopy line

To: OSP13@attglobal.net
Subject: Re: pointless auto topic #38: short vs swoopy line
From: Smokerbros@aol.com
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2001 15:06:20 EST
Rich writes:

> I think that was a "yes." It's probably not possible to prove but
> I believe that when one quiets the mind, the same thought
> processes continue on their own but without the usual silent verbalization.
>
> I believe the key, as the rest of Katie's response implies,
> is that conscious analysis is necessary while learning,
> but is a hindrance when executing what you already
> know how to do.
>
> Playing a musical instrument is perhaps the best example;
> first you must figure out how to make sounds with the
> device, but once mastered, it behooves one to pay sole

I agree to a certain extent.  First, I think the fundamentals of vehicle
dynamics as it relates to what a car will and won't do (especially with
respect to turning) is necessary.  After you know this and apply it to the
car you are driving on any given day (spoken as a founding member of RCSA),
walking the course requires at least some conscious effort.

As opposed to playing music, reading an autocross course is important to keep
you from making mistakes.  You might like to drive a certain line, but it's
gravely.  Or, as in the case of a particular recent decreasing radius
right-hander, you won't be sucked in to an apex at an angle that's 45-75
degrees off of the angle you need to actually make the rest of the corner.  A
certain amount of conscious thought was required ... unless you just have
impeccable instincts that never let you down.

Charlie