Re: 2500 lb Miata?

To: "Loughmiller, Scott" <scott@radiate.com>,
Subject: Re: 2500 lb Miata?
From: "Scot Zediker" <roadsterboy@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 15:55:00 -0700
----- Original Message -----
From: "Loughmiller, Scott" <scott@radiate.com>
To: "'Mark J. Andy'" <marka@telerama.com>; <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Sent: Friday, October 12, 2001 2:34 PM

> I have the 5-speed in my '01, and as far as the taller second goes, it's
> great on a fast course.  I've been in third on maybe three courses out of
> all the autocrosses I did this year, but on slower courses it's not so
hot.
> I've had to downshift into 1st several times on most courses.  Maybe
that's
> from lack of experience, maybe that happens to people with the 6-speed
too,
> but I've talked to a few of the people who have 6-speeds and they are in
1st
> a lot less than I am.

I don't bother with downshifting most of the time.  If it's a single corner
with a good straight after it, it might be worthwhile, but otherwise it's
awkward getting back to 2nd if you have to do a series of turns afterwards
(I've been in situations where I've had to shift while I was steering).  You
typically have enough to worry about without going down to 1st.

> What you need is 2 cars, look at the course, and then decide what to drive
> based on the course.

Must be pretty damn nice to have that kind of money...

Scot

We make attorneys affordable.
http://www.prepaidlegal.com/go/szediker