Re: Thanks from SCCA to Solo 2 workers

To: Sherry.Grantz@aspect.com, ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Thanks from SCCA to Solo 2 workers
From: Smokerbros@aol.com
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 00:42:21 EDT
John Kelly writes:

   > >         6) The attitude of one particular pro race
> > sanctioning body toward
> > race workers is appalling, to the point they ordered porta
> > potties removed
> > from some Laguna Seca turns because they wouldn't look good
> > on TV. And then
> > they required everybody start at 7:30 a.m. each day, no lunch
> > break, and
> > the day finally ended 5 ish. OSHA wouldn't allow this kind of
> > stuff. And
> > neither would any labor union worthy of its name.

Sherry Grantz responds:
   > But remember how special this sanctioning body is!! They've made a movie
> with Sylvester Stallone!!! And they aren't noted for their concern about

While I was working turn 11, I heard some of this...  For instance, the SFR
tow people (a.k.a. the Hookers) do not pull tow a car through the corkscrew.
They unhook at the top and let the car coast down to back paddock.  They
tried to tell CART, but CART insisted on pull towing a car (with a crew
member, not a driver, no helmet, not strapped in) through the corkscrew.  As
the tow truck turned before the car did, the tow line to the top of the roll
hoop started angling off sharply to the left, and pulled the car over.  The
crew member was injured.

NASCAR on the other hand, is smart enough to know what they don't know, and
defer to the people with experience at tracks like Laguna Seca.  All the more
reason to work NASCAR weekend at LAguna on 5/19-20!

CHD