RE: Thanks from SCCA to Solo 2 workers

To: "'ba-autox@autox.team.net'" <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Thanks from SCCA to Solo 2 workers
From: "Grantz, Sherry" <Sherry.Grantz@aspect.com>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 16:03:27 -0700
In the interest of not chasing off people who want to give working a try
before they even get out there once to judge for themselves, I have to make
some comments about workers:

(if you're looking for autocross content, just delete this; however, I will
mention Sylvester Stallone and you can guess about the pro sanctioning body
involved) --

> Message text written by INTERNET:Smokerbros@aol.com
>
> "They'll gladly train more people, too.  I was pretty amazed
> at the lack of roadrace workers...
>
> Charlie"
> - -------------------- End Original Message --------------------
> Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 12:39:29 -0400
> From: John Kelly <76067.1750@compuserve.com>

> The "lack" relates to many, many factors, IMHO.
>
>         1) Many past race workers developed a thought they
> are second class
> citizens. Only in recent years has SF Region begun an
> aggressive worker
> appreciation program. At most after-race social gatherings,
> where most race
> workers finally have a chance to get together, rare is the
> appearance of
> any racing drivers to share the weekend's experience.

I've only been to two socials - and they were both neck deep in drivers
(maybe more so at Laguna). But it's not like they're people I'm going to get
autographs from - I suppose it's nice they show up, but it wouldn't affect
my feelings about whether I wanted to work or not.

>         2) Even most of the region's Board of Directors don't show up.
> Their collective sense of "noblese oblige" is rather poor.
> But then there
> have been a few BoD members who only show up at races when
> they happen to
> be driving, otherwise they stay home.
>         3) This past weekend I counted five of the seven BoD
> members on
> hand. This represents a major step forward.

I really think that was a while back. Yeah, 5 of the 7 were there; no wait,
I think Leslie was still out working during the socials and didn't make it.
The two road races I've been to, most of the BOD come by during lunch and
for the social and are either racing, working or doing both during the day.

>         4) Then there's the schedule. Some race workers,
> notably Emergency,
> find they are committed to over 24 two-day weekends as the
> region trades
> race working for race dates. Doubt if you'll see any licensed
> racer working
> a pro race so he can drive in his club race the following
> weekend. (Ian
> Cook is the ONLY guy I've ever seen do it. That's one.)

Yeah - this year I think it's only (!!) 16 weekends. I do wonder why people
do this.

And Ian's just different - he goes all over the globe to work the CART
races, too. Which by the way is one reason people are SCCA workers - they
can go to any professional race in the country that uses volunteer workers
and be right out on course with drivers they would like to get autographs
from.

>         6) The attitude of one particular pro race
> sanctioning body toward
> race workers is appalling, to the point they ordered porta
> potties removed
> from some Laguna Seca turns because they wouldn't look good
> on TV. And then
> they required everybody start at 7:30 a.m. each day, no lunch
> break, and
> the day finally ended 5 ish. OSHA wouldn't allow this kind of
> stuff. And
> neither would any labor union worthy of its name.

But remember how special this sanctioning body is!! They've made a movie
with Sylvester Stallone!!! And they aren't noted for their concern about
anyone. Even their drivers walked out on them a couple weeks ago at Texas.

>         That should give a few clues on what needs to be done
> to revive the
> region's race worker program. A key problem will be when the
> next worker
> crop finds out some other race sanctioning bodies PAY MONEY for their
> services.
>
> - --John Kelly

Yeah, SCCA workers in SFR are wacky, I've sure noticed that. They put in 8
hour days for free and think they're having a good time. Guess they really
like racing, or maybe spending the weekends camping with friends and hanging
out at the racetrack all day. What I do hear a lot is they are really proud
of their performance, have a reputation throughout the country as being the
best, and would rather work jillions of days a year than to give up a race
to one of those paid worker groups. Some of it I understand, some of it I
don't. But working's not all a bad deal - although I'm beginning to realize
I have a lot more patience and am a lot dumber than a lot of other people -
I actually enjoy working these races - even if it's hard work and you have
to get up before dawn!!

Sherry