Re: Miata Roll Bar

To: "Loughmiller, Scott" <scott@radiate.com>
Subject: Re: Miata Roll Bar
From: "Kevin Lahey" <kml@patheticgeek.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 17:35:45 -0700
In message <3B218D37278F1F448C46AFB82C2AF1CA39ED09@revere.mtv-ad.radiat e.com>"
Loughmiller, Scott" writes

>I have to buy a roll bar for my '01 Miata.  I'm leaning heavily towards the
>Hard Dog Hard Core Double Diag Polished Stainless roll bar.  Yes that's
>right, the most expensive roll bar I was able to find.

I find that the double-diagonal cuts pretty seriously into my
vision out the rear-view mirror.  I'm not sure how much additional
integrity the double-diagonal adds.  If I had to do it over again,
I'd probably go for the Hard Core with no diagonals at all.
I've yet to see anyone turned away from a track event because of
the lack of diagonals[*];  the Solo 1 rules really don't matter around
here, because nobody puts them on.

Of course, YMMV -- I'm 6'1", and the Miata is a tight fit for me.
If you are a little more compact, the view might be no problem,
or perhaps the seats in the '01 put you in a better place.  If
you catch me at an event, I'd be happy to let you sit in my car
to see how the HCDD feels.

Kevin
kml@patheticgeek.net

'99 Miata PEP, Green, B Stock #45

[*] Not that I'm the king of track events -- perhaps somebody else has
had a different experience.