RE: Seven Year Itch

To: "INTERNET:stingray@onth.com" <stingray@onth.com>, ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Seven Year Itch
From: John Kelly <76067.1750@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 12:50:59 -0500

Message text written by INTERNET:stingray@onth.com

"Being that I just bought a 98 M3, and am new to autox, I am very
interested in knowing what some of the draw backs are.  For me, this is one
of the best handling cars I have ever driven, and with a great engine and
even better brakes."

Several folks have uncovered some weak links in various BMW models.
        1: Soft motor mounts which allow the engine to rock, and some times
said mounts break.
        2: If they don't break they allow the engine to rock from side to
side and the stiff plastic parts in the radiator break, leaking coolant
everywhere.
        3: If you hit a pylon exactly right, it breaks a different plastic
radiator part and coolant leaks everywhere.
        RE: Items #2 and #3: We've had two different BMWs towed from recent
events due to these problems.
                Iten #1: The broken motor mounts at least allowed the owner
to drive.
 home...slowly. (He went out and bought an Audi.)

        Other factor: The good handling has misled several drivers. They
pushed their vehicles even harder and caused the vehicle to turn over.
        The BMW factory folks have instituted driver training programs.
It's suggested to find one of these and take it. (I took one several years
ago and it was extremely well done.)

--John Kelly