RE: Tires for Street Tire class

To: "'Carl Merritt'" <cmerritt@ati.com>,
Subject: RE: Tires for Street Tire class
From: "Thana, Peter {High~Palo Alto}" <PETER.THANA@Roche.COM>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 14:59:50 -0700
As Carl said, I too have been very happy with the RE71s, although I'd give a
different impression of them.

I'm running 225/50/16s as well, and actually think the sidewalls are very
stiff.  Of course the other tires I ran were Michelin Pilot HX luxury
touring tires, which are probably as gelatinous as your Turanzas.  Even so,
I'm surprised by how low I can drop pressures w/o rolling over.  I've run
between 34 and 37 hot, which on the Michelins would have me running on the
rims.  That said, the ride is definitely not bad, and they're very quiet.

As for grip, they actually don't feel like they have much more absolute grip
than my old M's, but there is a *huge* difference in driveability.  When I
used to lose the rear on the Pilots, it was all I could do to save the car,
but definitely not the fast way around.  With the RE71s, I feel like the car
does slide around quite a bit, but it is just so controllable.  It's really
night and day- they really hang on when they are sliding.

I've noticed that even when hot, mine don't have that "sticky" feel that
Yokohamas have, but on the flip side the RE71s are extremely wide (having
been designed in the '80s) for their nominal size, which may contribute to
their progressiveness.

I've had mine for only ~2200 miles, and about 12-15 events counting all
those fun runs for myself, Ben, Jim, Katie, etc...:).  I'd say they're
wearing fast.  The rears are about 75% gone, and I just cross-rotated the
fronts because the shoulders were bald.  I'm hoping to make it through
slush, but no further.  A lot of that is probably my novice driving style
though...

I wonder if the differences between Carl's impressions and mine might be due
to the fact that the 225/50/16s I got from TireRack are the Porsche N2 OE
fitment.  I've heard sometimes the OE applications are slightly different.

So now that you've heard from the two guys who are *behind* you in Street
Tire, maybe you should ask Mr. Parker?:):)

Peter Thana
SFR AS-ST