Re: Lexus Drive - Hangin with Mr. Cooper

To: <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Lexus Drive - Hangin with Mr. Cooper
From: "Boris Elpiner" <boriselp@altavista.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 11:48:28 -0700
I've also attended the Lexus event on Sunday. Since my plans to make it to
AAS event on Saturday feel through due to food poisoning, I thought to have
a little fun at the Lexus's expense on Sunday.

The "big" course was flat out to the turnaround, somewhat similar to our
fist event there, and then just a bit slower on the way back. Good exercise
in the looking-ahead since they won't let you walk the course <g>. I'm not
sure who was my "Pro driver", but the car control was very impressive. The
whole point of  the "hot lap with the PRO"  exercise was to impress the
public and the Dukes of Hazard driving style works well for that purpose.
<g>

The small course was very tight with just couple of spots were you can get
on it. Out of the 3 cars provided (IS300, A4 and 328), I though the Lexus is
the best all around car, but I felt Bimmer was better for autocrossing. I
was very disappointed with A4. I had expected it would be the best car for
that surface. I've seen A4's do very well in SOLO2 competition, but the one
I've driven was soft, understeered in the worst way, and was down on power
in comparison to 328 and IS300. The BMW felt stronger, more predictable,
more neutral and the easiest to drive fast. I thought I was at least 1 sec
faster (according to my butt timer) than in other two cars.  OK, maybe it's
because I'm more familiar with BMWs. <g>

By Sunday afternoon the surface was reasonably clean with well defined grove
on the big course. The grip was pretty good. I think street tires work
better on that surface than Hoosiers. The Kumho's should work the best.

Thanks to Lexus for an afternoon of fun.

Boris.
00 Boxster AS84

Weel, nice event