Re: [Fwd: bye-bye RX-7]

To: Autocross List <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fwd: bye-bye RX-7]
From: Vernon Head <vhead@fuelrtm.com>
Date: 02 Aug 2000 10:24:43 -0700
Mike Clements wrote:

>If you see my old black/tan rotary friend driving around the bay
>area, please say "hi" for me. Vernon and Jim, any advice on
>dealing with the post-rotary blues?

I wrote:

Yes Mike, there is a way. Sit comfortably in a chair in a quiet room. Slowly
affirm to yourself that an engine must have pistons in it to produce power.
That some wierd triangular piece of metal that doesn't even travel in a
circular path, goes against all that is logical and sane in the world.

Then imagine those two turbochargers glowing red hot and cooking your synthetic
oil into a thick black gook that cannot possibly lubricate your engine. After
that, imagine the apex seals disintegrating at 8,000 rpm, leaving you with a
smoldering beer keg shaped chunk of aluminum.

Then slowly allow yourself to return to the normal world, where cars are
propelled by pistons and valves and cubic inches, not some fiendish rotary
fantasy. You should begin to feel better after a few sessions.

-Vernon