Re: Newbie

To: alberto@TotallyGames.com, ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Newbie
From: "Kevin Stevens" <kevin_stevens@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 12:12:02 PDT
>Hello everyone, I'm new to autocross and to this list. One of the
>things I'm curious about is the locations where the events are held. I know
>one is the Coliseum and the other is 3Com.

*A*nother is 3Com.  We also run at a half-dozen other sites.  The web page
has directions to some of the more common ones.

>Are the cones set up around the light posts or close enough to where
> >people might loose control and hit a pole?

We try to avoid it.  ;)  Safe course design is a major priority in our
course designs.

>Has this ever happened at any of the events?

Not in my limited experience (5 years).  We did have an OSP car blow an
engine last year, oiling his rear tires and causing a fairly spectacular
approach to a light pole, but he missed it.  There was a Cobra that hit a
light pole at DeAnza a couple of years ago, that wasn't an SCCA sanctioned
event.

>Just curious how much risk it would be if I'm thinking of trying it
>in my daily driver.

Practically none if you give up the run when things start to get out of hand
and simply stand on the brakes (ideally the clutch as well if it's a manual
transmission).

>Another question more dericted to the moderator(s) of this list,
>maybe they can answer this.

This is an unmoderated list.

>I signed up online to be sent info on the speedfreaks
>program but haven't received anything in the mail yet, just was
>wondering if the system is working or if mail is just slow.

No idea, sorry.

KeS