Re: Newbie

To: Alberto Fonseca <alberto@TotallyGames.com>
Subject: Re: Newbie
From: "Michael R. Clements" <mrc01@flash.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 11:39:58 -0700
Alberto,

Safety is the primary concern when setting up a course, and the
course designers avoid placing cones near obstacles, in order to
minimize the risk of an out of control car hitting anything.
These kinds of accidents are rare but they sometimes do happen so
it is a risk, but it is a risk that can be minimized by good
course design. My experience over the past several years is that
the SFR SCCA does a great job of setting up safe courses, and has
safe drivers too. You should always walk the course and if
anything seems unsafe to you, you should let the safety steward
or the course designer know. While it is the responsibility of
the driver to be in control of his vehicle at all times, the
course is designed to minimize the risk of personal injury or
property damage if and when a driver loses control. The goal is
to drive at the limits of your ability but not beyond them and if
you do this on a well designed course, the worst thing that you
should have to worry about is tire wear if you slide the car or
spin out. If you're sliding around and hitting cones, you need to
slow down. The objective is to go as fast as possible while
always maintaining control of the car -- and the second part of
this objective is more important than the first. In my opinion,
when the drivers and course designers follow these guidelines it
is lots of fun and as safe as normal driving.

Anyone wanna borrow my soapbox now?  ;)