Re: SFRSCCA events

To: Barry Spencer <BSpencer@tsoft.com>
Subject: Re: SFRSCCA events
From: "Benjamin R. Martinez" <brmcapri@usa.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 23:26:47 -0700
To Barry and all participants:

I agree with Barry in the  first paragraph (below) the each site has its
challenges.  Isn't the whole idea of driving on different surfaces to teach you
how to drive faster in any situation, not just optimum driving conditions (like
sacramento)?

About your throttle sticking - that sounds like a mechanical problem to me.

The finish orginally was designed to go straight ahead.  One veteran suggested
a kink after the finish to slow the cars down more so they would not be
barrelling down on the timing slip person.  I thought it was a good idea -
hence I put the kink in.  However,  if you got into trouble - there was plenty
of room to skip the "kink" after the finish lights to break in a straight line
- that way you could head straight off the course BEHIND the cars gridding on
the second grid. (BTW - why were you looking down?)

RE: "A larger zig zag should have been added before the finish " - this is the
classic John Kelly NO NO.  This would have caused cars to spin out at the
finish line, which would have caused many red flags thrown, many re-runs and no
fun runs at the end of the day.  With the given design, we did not have any
cars spin out and only one car in trouble at the end.

AS for the part of the course that you decided to change at the beginning of
the day where you thought cars would be spinning off - we had NO cars spin off
course with the ORIGINAL design.  If you are having a hard time with the site
choices, course designs, safety stewards not doing their job, etc. then I hope
you will help us perfect our events next year by arranging our schedule,
booking our sites, designing our courses, chairing our events, and working as
safety steward at our events.

Can't wait to see you at the next steering committee meeting as I am sure you
will be there to step up to at least one of the above tasks.

THANKS!
BEN

--
BEN

DSP #60
Mercury Capri
-- Racing is life...all the rest is just waiting --