Things Nationals teach Was: DNWs for course workers

To: Donald R McKenna <donbarbmckenna@earthlink.net>, ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Things Nationals teach Was: DNWs for course workers
From: Patrick Jones <axng4me@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 14:06:34 -0700 (PDT)
This point from Don:

> 3. When following a car on its path focus on the rear of the car,
>not the front, or worse yet, ahead of the car. By looking at the rear
>of the car you see the course imediately after the car passes and the
>opportunity to see wiggling or dis-placed cones is vastly improved.

hit home with me in San Diego.  After almost two years, I felt I knew
how to watch and pick up cones.  But alas, those very cool race cars
came by and I had to be reminded in no uncertain terms to "Watch the
cones, not the cars!" from two people who had been there more than
once.

As I mumbled to myself, "I know how to watch the darn cones", I
realized that I hadn't been and indeed was watching the cars.  Now I
try to grab the car number and then look just past it's rear bumper as
it goes by.  Makes a big difference.

Another thought for replacing cones - the concept of running.  I worked
starter at GGF for the 7th group.  As I saw cones get hit in the early
part of the course, I waited for them to be replaced.  A few times I
waited what seemed like a long time as workers casually strode over to
replace them.  I also heard people saying behind me (to themselves)
"Boy, he takes a long time to start cars."  A reminder to hustle at the
drivers meeting seems appropriate here.

BTW, I enjoyed being starter and will do that again!

patrick

http://mail.yahoo.com/