worn tire shoulders

To: ba-autox <ba-autox@autox.team.net>, Miata Mail <miatamail@txt.com>
Subject: worn tire shoulders
From: Tom Burke <thosd@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2000 14:20:14 -0700 (PDT)
I have worn down the outside shoulders of my street
tires through the abundance of A/X opportunities in
the SF Bay Area.  Since my tires, Bridgestone RE730
have ~ 3K miles, I figured that I would just have the
tires turned inside out and wear down the presently
nice, squared inside shoulders.  The rest of the tire
tread is in great shape, plenty of depth. Front camber
set at -1.2 degrees, rear set at -1.6 degrees, 0 toe
in front, 1/8 inch overall toe-in in back on a '91
Miata.

Two tire shops told me that they could not work on my
tires because the tread depth was below 2/32 of an
inch. (legal issue)  Even though this is only true on
the very outside shoulder of the tires.

Has anyone else had this experience?  Are there tire
shops in the south bay that would perform the remove
and replace of the tires knowing that the conditions
are due to "off road" use?  Should I just accept the
fact that I have worn out the tires and run them until
I cord the shoulders?

TIA, Tom

http://mail.yahoo.com/