RE: Oakland surface in the afternoon

To: <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Oakland surface in the afternoon
From: "Kevin Stevens" <Kevin_Stevens@Bigfoot.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 23:32:25 -0700
All power to Corey, he did an absolutely fantastic job!

That being said, the surface was absolutely awful for me in the Corvette in 7th
run group (with Corey as usual).  I literally couldn't make it around the
course, because the clean line was so narrow that I couldn't fit on it.  Corey
and I usually run neck and neck, and Sunday he beat my time by 1.5 seconds,
scratch.  I couldn't get a clean run in; it was truly a miserable experience.

Kevin Lahey was kind enough to give me a couple of fun runs in his Miata
immediately after the eighth group, and the difference was like night and day.
The car fit on the clean line, and without as much power to tear up more gravel
it worked quite well.  This was the first time I've driven a Miata (actually I
think I had an abortive effort in Teresa's about three years ago).  My second
run was a 48.9...

I think what happened was the surface got better on the clean line, and much
worse on the dirty line.  I don't know if it's feasible, but I'd recommend we
sweep the corners during mid-day course walk at Oakland.

KeS